B. IV's
    1. What IV's Are

C. Finding your Pokemon's IV's and Potential

II. Breeding Awesome Pokemon

A. Obtaining Pokemon with Good IV's
    B. Items that Influence IV Inheritance

III. IV Inheritance and How to Manipulate your Pokemon's IV's

A. Finding Which IV's Are Passed Down
    B. Demonstration of How IV Inheritance Works with Everstone and Destiny Knot
    C. Manipulating IV Inheritance in 11 Steps

Credits

Glossary and Research Notes

I. Basics of Pokemon Breeding

You'll want your Pokemon to be of the best quality for Competitive Pokemon Battling. You'll be able to breed your own Pokemon with outstanding stats; which is the purpose of this guide.

A. Natures

When using good nature Pokemon in breeding it's best to start off with a Synchronize ability Pokemon such as Ralts or Munna. When using a Synchronize Pokemon keep it in the first Pokemon in your party, this Pokemon can be fainted and the ability will still be in effect. Use your Synchronize Pokemon to catch Ditto or the Pokemon you're trying to breed.

B. IV's

IV's are between 0 and 31. 0 being the worst possible while 31 being the best or perfect IV. You could think of IV's as being "Pokemon Genes". You can breed Pokemon and increase these "genes" and potential of your Pokemon..

After the main story and defeating the Elite Four you gain access to a very important person in Kiloude City. That's right I'm talking about the IV Judge. He'll let you know which stats are flawless (31) or terrible (0). If a stat is flawless or 31 he'll say something along the lines of "Couldn't be better" or "A thing of perfection" and if the stat is 0 the Judge will say something along the lines of "Wouldn't get any where fast with that kind of speed".

C. Finding Your Pokemon's IV's and Potential

What you'll need to find your Pokemon's IV's and Potential

1. IV Judge in Kiloude City he'll give you your Pokemon's potential

2. IV calculator, this is the one I personally used located here >MetalKid's Gaming Resources - Pokemon - Calculators - IVs OR this IV calculator...You can also use it offline if you down load it first Advanced Individual Value & Stat Calculator - www.legendarypokemon.net (Also, contains new gen 6 Pokemon!) Be sure to plug in as much information as possible for the most accurate results.

3. Rare Candy about 50 should do.
    (Rare Candy can be obtained in game OR in the PGL {Pokemon Global Link} by trading in PokeMiles earned in game or through Wonder Trading) This technique can be used before gaining access to the Battle Institute (which becomes accessible after defeating the Elite Four.)

4. Using your Rare Candy to level up your Pokemon without Effort Values (EV's are earned after each battle see here for more info>http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/po...ter/222418.htm ) Effort Values will screw up your results within the IV calculator. The higher the level of your Pokemon the potentially more accurate your results will be.
    Last edited by LugiaMew24; 11-21-13 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Adding a Glossary
    Pokemon X/Y
    Player name: Cassandra /Rellyen
    3DS user name: LugiaMew24/LugiaMew42
    3DS FC: 2680-9230-1227/0662-4383-3268
    Yes, I have two 3DS's hence the two FC's. Let me know if you add me so I can add you back for Pokemon related gaming only.
    Thanks, LugiaMew24

Hub Status: Loading...
    Blog Entries

re: Gen 6 Pokemon Breeding Guide and Help Thread

II. Breeding Awesome Pokemon

A. Obtaining Pokemon With Good IV's

The best possible scenario would be obtaining a Friend Safari with Ditto. Why is this so important? Because all Friend Safari Pokemon have at least two flawless stats! This is imperative if you want to IV breed your Pokemon. Whether it be Ditto for convenience sake or another Pokemon you're trying to breed, try and catch your Pokemon of choice in the Friend Safari.

If you don't have access to a Ditto Friend Safari you can find Ditto in the Pokemon Village through the forest of Snowbelle City.

Remember all your Synchronize Pokemon you caught? You can use them to find Dittos of desirable natures and aide in your Pokemon breeding endeavors. Regardless of where you obtain your Ditto be sure to run it by the IV Judge to see where the IV's land. Also, running your Dittos' stats through an IV Calculator couldn't hurt either.

Using the same idea described above you can hunt for desirable natures of Pokemon anywhere in the Pokemon world. However keep in mind Friend Safari is your best bet for obtaining Pokemon with multiple perfect IV's.

B. Items That Influence IV Inheritance

There are several items that influence the IV that are passed down to your Pokemon's offspring making your job of IV breeding easier.

1. Destiny Knot > perhaps the most important item in IV breeding. It will pass on 5 IV's from the the parents at random. If your Pokemon parents already have good IV's to begin with you're almost guaranteed good offspring.

2. Everstone > the first most important item in breeding natures. Everstone passes on the nature 100% of the time of the holder.

3. Power Items > these nifty items are guaranteed to pass on the corresponding IV of the Pokemon holding it.
    Power Bracer > Attack
    Power Belt> Defense
    Power Lens > Special Attack
    Power Band > Special Defense
    Power Anklet > Speed
    Power Weight > Hit Points

The Power Items are best when used with a Pokemon with only one or two Flawless IV(s). This way the holder is guaranteed to pass on that particular IV.
    Pokemon X/Y
    Yes, I have two 3DS's hence the two FC's. Let me know if you add me so I can add you back for Pokemon related gaming only.
    Thanks, LugiaMew24

Blog Entries

III. IV Inheritance and How to Manipulate Your Pokemon's IV's

A. Finding Which IV's are passed down

What you'll need

1. the IV Judge
    2. IV calculator > MetalKid's Gaming Resources - Pokemon - Calculators - IVs
    3. Two Magikarp or Gyarados Male and Female respectively. These will be your Practice Parents for this following example. Magikarp Eggs hatch very fast especially if you have a Pokemon with Flame Body ability in your party. (Talonflame has Flame Body as well as learns Fly)
    4. Your Practice Parents exact IV's. The more accurate the easier your job will be in finding the IV's for later.

B. Demonstration on How IV Inheritance Works with Everstone and Destiny Knot

Gyarados (M) Jolly: Holding Everstone
    Male
    HP> 19
    Atk> 29
    Def> 29
    Sp.Atk> 4
    Sp. Def> 28
    Spd> 10

Note:
    Try to pick parents that have vastly
    different IV's, this will make
    finding which IV's the Baby
    Pokemon inherited easier.

For Masuda Method
    of breeding Pokemon, use "Practice
    Parents" from different countries
    to increase your odds of hatching
    a shiny Pokemon. In
    the event you hatch a shiny Pokemon
    from your "Practice Parents" DO NOT
    SAVE!!
    But, rather reset your game
    and swap for the IV Parents from different
    countries and gain a worth
    while shiny Pokemon. *See
    Glossary for more info on the
    Masuda Method.

Gyarados (F) Holding Destiny Knot
    Female
    HP> 28
    Atk> 0
    Def> 28
    Sp.Atk> 22
    Sp.Def> 12
    Spd> 22

Resulting Baby Magikarp's IV's & Nature: Jolly

HP> 28(F)
    Atk> 29(M)
    Def> X
    Sp.Atk> 22(F)
    Sp.Def> 12(F)
    Spd> 10(M)
    [X = the random IV inherited because Destiny Knot will only pass down 5 IV's!]

C. Manipulating IV Inheritance in 11 Steps

1. Put your Practice Parents in daycare holding Everstone and Destiny Knot respectively

2. Run or ride your Bike until and Egg is created at the Daycare.

3. Reject the FIRST Egg.

4. Immediately after rejecting the First Egg SAVE YOUR GAME!!

5. Ride or run around until a second Egg is produced. Collect this Egg.

6. Hatch the Second Egg.

7. Confirm IV's by leveling up newly hatched Pokemon with Rare Candy by more than 20 levels and run Baby Pokemon's stats through the IV calculator and notice the placement of IV inheritance. Also, go to the Battle Institute in Lumiose City (next to Lumiose Station) and enter a battle competition without saving (make sure to enter the Pokemon whose stats you want to check) and run said stats through an IV calculator. If IV placement is not desirable or what you want reject and hatch the Eggs one at a time saving immediately after rejecting this Egg until you get what you get a spread you like or can work with.

Note:
    Saving before collecting an Egg will lock you into that Egg because the gender, ability, IV's and shininess are all preset before you collect your Egg!

8. Reset your game WITHOUT SAVING!!

9. Remove current Practice Parents from Daycare and put the "Good IV Parents" in to Daycare holding the Everstone and Destiny Knot respectively.

10. Collect the First Egg from your "Good IV Parents" and hatch the Egg.

11. Hatch Egg and confirm Baby Pokemon's IV's with the Judge in Kiloude City. Or confirm IV spread at the Battle Institute by running the stats through an IV calculator.

The Male or Female Pokemon may contribute up to 3 IV's and the other Parent will contribute the remaining two IV's; while the 6th IV is random on average. *See research notes. This inheritance pattern isn't always the case.

NOTE: It's highly recommended that you use good IV Pokemon with the same gender ratio as your Practice Parents. There maybe inconsistencies with the IV inheritance.
    Breeding of genderless Pokemon does not work with the above method.
    *See research notes or credits for a helpful nifty tool courtesy of Smogon.

Credits

Spoiler
    Last edited by LugiaMew24; 02-17-14 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added about Masuda Method

Blog Entries

Glossary and Research Notes

Glossary
    Spoiler

Research Notes
    Spoiler
    Last edited by LugiaMew24; 02-17-14 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Adding mention of Masuda Method
    Pokemon X/Y
    Thanks, LugiaMew24

Blog Entries
    Clans
    VS

Subbing for once I get the game.

[Sig from Kuro vi Lolitania]

~Friendcodes' PokemonShowdown! Server~
    [Watching: Madoka Magica]

Blog Entries
    Clans
    VS

Stickying this. Good job!
    Got a question about Pokemon, or the site in general? PM or VM me, I'll get back to you asap.
    Leader of The Unholy Saints: Currently Recruiting for 6th Gen
    0963-0317-6968 Pokemon X/3DS Canadian, and proud of it!

tatkao is offline Junior Member

So is this a good result of breeding and should i use it on my team Lapras (M) - Impish, Water Absorb, 31\31\31\31\21\27

Blog Entries
    Clans
    VS

Quote Originally Posted by tatkao View Post
    So is this a good result of breeding and should i use it on my team Lapras (M) - Impish, Water Absorb, 31\31\31\31\21\27
    It really depends on what you are using it for. If it solely for defensive purposes, then it isn't too bad as long as you are running physical attacks. The only problem I see is that its Special Defense is pretty low and that will start showing soon.
    If this is for offensive purposes, then the nature and Speed are probably not the best.

[Sig from Kuro vi Lolitania]

~Friendcodes' PokemonShowdown! Server~
    [Watching: Madoka Magica]

JDWelsh is offline Junior Member

my friend code is 1864-9518-9292 pm me and i'll add u :)

Blog Entries

Edited to make some stuff clearer and easier to understand. Also, added Research Notes. I want to encourage others to either post here or contact me directly via PM with observations and tips in Pokemon Breeding for the Research Notes. If it's okay with the Mods...I hope discussion of Pokemon Breeding mechanics and etc. could take place here.

Thank you, LugiaMew24
    Pokemon X/Y
    Thanks, LugiaMew24

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast