Hub Status: Loading...

Not another rain team...! OU 5th Gen~

Ohay. This is the team I've been running on PO for a while now, it's been doing pretty well... I'll point out some obvious flaws at the end.

Politoed (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spe)
    - Protect
    - Rest
    - Toxic
    - Surf
    This guy pretty much exists to set up the Drizzle. Chose SDef EVs over Def because it makes a pretty good special wall despite being NU in Gen4. Toxic/Protect stalling for teh lulz, Rest for extra survivability in case I come up against another weather team and need to get my rain back, Surf for some stab'd rain boosted damage. Sassy nature to make it uberslow so my Rain will get set up over TTar's Sandstorm.

Kingdra (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Waterfall
    - Outrage
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Dance
    Obvious addition to a rain team. Chose a bulky set for some reason, suppose it won't really need max speed in the rain and with DD. Sub to protect from statuses, Waterfall and Outrage for epic stab damage.

Nattorei (M) @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Power Whip
    - Protect
    - Leech Seed
    Apparently Spikes>Rocks in this gen so this guy sets them up. 4x Fire weakness lowered thanks to rain, massive bulk also helps it cope with fire and fighting attacks. Iron Barbs is always nice, especially with Leech Seed dealing damage each turn. Protect is to add to the general stall nature of most of this team. Power Whip for stab grass. Shed Shell for Shandera switching in to trap and kill.

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Energy Ball
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    This guy is now my favourite Pokemon. Pretty much took a 4th gen set from Smogon here. Chose HP Fire to take care of other Nattorei that seem to be on every team. The rest is pretty obvious. Speed and surf damage boosted by rain, great coverage with Energy Ball and Ice Beam. Overall a beastly special sweeper.

Barujiina (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Dustproof
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind/Toxic
    - Brave Bird
    - Knock Off
    Never seen anyone else use this gal and I can't see why. SHE NEVER DIES. Massive bulk lets her take super effective attacks and just Roost it all off. Had Toxic before but changed it to Whirlwind because I have 2 other Toxic'ers anyway. Brave Bird for stab attack power, Knock Off to annoy everything. Best wall evar.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 188 HP / 255 Def / 64 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Roar
    - Surf
    - Toxic
    Oh ja. 2 walls ftw. They pretty much do the same stuff but Vappy has more reliable recovery in Hydration Rest. Considering actually switching this to a pseudo-sweeper set, which I've seen work (Shadow Ball, Surf, HP Electric/Ice Beam, Rest).

Current threats:

Can't do anything to stop this guy setting up hazards apart from switching in my Ludicolo and spamming HP Fire, which only does about 30-40%.

That's about it really :\ apart from other weather teams... My rain normally gets up first though which gives me the advantage. The outrageous Ludicolo/Kingdra combo can take out pretty much anything in 2 hits.
    Once my 2 sweepers get taken out though, I have a choice between Surf, Brave Bird, Power Whip, Surf again or stalling :\
    I also have no priority moves or Rapid Spin, and since everyone is setting up every hazard they can I should probably consider running Starmie or something...
    *ahem* done now.

TeeDee is offline Simplify, Simplify
    Blog Entries

Re: Not another rain team...! OU 5th Gen~

i just took a quick glance, but right away I notice that youre going to have alot of problems mid-late game without a secondary rain inducer. Since sand storm is so popular, you really need another Poke that sets up rain. Maybe try out Bronzong over Nattorei with SR, Rain Dance, Explosion, Filler @ Damp Rock. I don't see the point in Barujiina or Vaporeon on your team. Rain is all about being fast and hitting as hard as possible. Something you might consider to replace Barujiina or Vaporeon is a Magnezone. It can trap Nattorei and hit it with HP Fire, as well as set up Rain and Explode, clearing the way for your sweepers.
    Lovers don't finally meet somewhere.
    They're in each other all along.

Rumi

Sig courtesy of Cuomo. Thanks bro!

Blog Entries
    Clans
    VS

Re: Not another rain team...! OU 5th Gen~

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    i just took a quick glance, but right away I notice that youre going to have alot of problems mid-late game without a secondary rain inducer. Since sand storm is so popular, you really need another Poke that sets up rain. Maybe try out Bronzong over Nattorei with SR, Rain Dance, Explosion, Filler @ Damp Rock. I don't see the point in Barujiina or Vaporeon on your team. Rain is all about being fast and hitting as hard as possible. Something you might consider to replace Barujiina or Vaporeon is a Magnezone. It can trap Nattorei and hit it with HP Fire, as well as set up Rain and Explode, clearing the way for your sweepers.
    Well being offensive was for 4th Gen rain. Because you only had 8 turns of it, so you had to be offensive to make the most of the short time the rain is out for. With politoad, rain can be out 'permanently', so a defensive rain team could be effective in 5th gen, abusing hydration + rest, and rain dish Ludicolo (who has been effectively used in ubers before).

However, your only pokemon abusing rain defensively is Vaporeon and you need to decide if your going offensive with this team, or if your going defensive. I agree with Rhadfii, and I think an offensive rain team is much more effective, as swift swim is such a great ability, and the 1.5 times boost to water moves is also great on the offence.

I don't know if their are any good 5th Gen offensive rain abusers, but some top threats from Gen 4 are:
    - Kabutops, such a good sweeper in the rain, with amassing stab coverage. It's like the offensive rain version of walrein and should be a staple on all offensive rain teams.
    - Manaphy, Tail glow + rain boost = overpowered surf 2hkoing blissey (Bonus: Hydration)
    - Starmie, Hydro pump + Thunder = win
    - Quilfish, SD + good stab coverage + explosion (Bonus: absorbs toxic spikes)
    - Omastar, Great sp.attack + stab coverage
    - Goreybis, simular to omastar, but without the rock typing
    - Floatzel, Bulky floatzel could be amassing with Bulk up, because with NO speed ev's it outspeeds scarf Gengar in the rain, and with permanent rain, it's a great possibility now. Meaning it can focus his ev's in hp/attack and it's defences.

I don't think sandstorm teams are that much of a threat. Because Hippowdon/tyranitar loose to Politoad and loose to rain teams in general.

Also if your going offensive, then you may want to try out an offensive politoad, and specs/scarf are the best ways to do this. Scarf politoad makes an acceptable lead.